Monday, August 31, 2009

Public Transportation

1950's --- Memories of a Local Boy

As I Recall . . . memories of a local boyPublic Transportation? Back in the late 1950's, we had the Blue Goose bus that ran down Hwy 115 from Mooresville through Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville, Derita, and then on to the old Trailways Station on Trade St. It came through Allen Hills (our largest subdivision at the time) and passed by my house on the gravel road.Our housekeeper used it to arrive at work, and then to go home in the afternoon. I rode it on Saturdays to head downtown shopping.

Pets weren't allowed, but once I packed my brand new Boxer puppy inside a cardboard box one Saturday. I was taking him to show my Grandma. It was like playing Wack-A-Mole trying to keep that puppy head from popping into sight. . . Don't Ask, Don't Tell . . . But I knew the bus driver was having a terrible time trying to keep from laughing as he watched me in the rear view mirror.

One of my favorite stops was WT Grants on North Tryon (about 3 doors up from The Carolina Theater. They always had dyed Chicks, Ducks, & Bunnies around Easter. The guinea pigs, painted turtles and gold fish the rest of the year. Throughout the year, Grants also had the model train stuff you could only find in the big window at Sears during the holidays. Spent much of my grocery store earnings there outfitting my own Plasticsville, USA. model train layout there.. Nothing quite so enticing at Woolworth's. I bought school & office supplies for my imaginary businesses there.

My favorite meal was found in the basement at Kress Co. on the Square. Always a long wait to get seated at the counter. Tried their burger, hot dog, and grilled ham & cheese . . . but there was nothing ever so good as their Homemade Vegetable Soup and fresh made corn sticks that tasted like they had been basted in salted butter. Washed that down with a cold fountain Coke (heavy on the syrup) over crushed ice in a genuine Coca-Cola glass. Not the watery stuff you get at today's fast food places.

And Yes, I ate at the Burger King on the Square. It was on West Trade St. in what had been the basement of Liggett Drug Store. After Church at Cole Memorial on Sundays, Mom & Dad would drop me off at the Square and I would have lunch at the drug store dining room. A hot, open faced turkey sandwich smothered in gravy, fresh cooked french fries, half a bottle of ketchup, a dab of cranberry sauce and a tall fountain Coca-Cola. Then I would head down the street to either the Imperial or Carolina Theater to catch the movie of the week. Always loved those Jordan Almond candies from the concession stand, but managed to save a few for Mom. They were her favorites, too.

Afterwards, I'd walk down Tryon Street all the way to Tenth St. My grandma lived three blocks over on Pine St. and I could call my folks from there. The route took me right by the comic book & News Stand at the Square, and I would often swing around the corner to stop in the old Dixie News Center, too. I walked, as I said, because I'd have plenty of reading material, but by then I'd be stone-cold broke.

Mom & Dad? Oh, they'd have lunch at the Ming Tree Restaurant on Providence Road just across from the Manor Theater. Dad & Phil DerYuen (the owner) were old school mates. (Always amazed me how many folks Dad knew from his school days. I couldn't even name half my graduating Class at North Meck). We went to The Ming Tree oftenon weekends but usually well after the Church crowd. I loved the Chicken Chow Mein and the Almond Cookies. Mom, Dad and Phil just loved to sit and talk. . . Phil's folks ran The Oriental Restaurant downtown on West Trade St. next to the old S & W Cafeteria.

Across the street another block down was Delmonico's Restaurant. Mom used to work there as a waitress when she first came to Charlotte. She used to tell a lot of fun stories, but the one I remember best was about waiting on old Mr. Penny. . . Yeah, THAT Mr. Penny. Mom would always be stationed near the front, but he would always take a small table at the rear of the restaurant and he would ask that she be the one to wait on him. It required some extra effort, but she always got a $5.00 tip (back when $5 was worth something). One time Mom asked why he always wanted her to wait on him. He replied, "Honey. . . I just like the way you walk!" I guess I should have thought, "What a dirty old man." But I've seen photos of my Mom back then, and she was HOT!

Because of the long hours Mom & Dad worked as grocers, we ate out some nights during the week. My favorite spots were The Copal Grill on Wilkinson Blvd. (Yeah, owner Gene Gulledge was another of Dad's old school buddies.) I loved their Turkey & Dressing made with sausage, the tangy Blue Cheese Dressing that Mr. Gulledge made up special, andthe complimentary cherry jello topped with whip cream, that came with every meal.

I loved going to The Chicken Box on Seigle Ave. Doris Arrington, one of my Mom's gal friends, ran the place and she would always take time out to come sit as visit us while we ate. Doris said that they shared an apartment next door in Piedmont Courts when Mom first came to Charlotte. Doris knew my brother, sister, aunts, and cousins --- She just had to ask about everyone of them. Such a sweet, wonderful lady. . . if she would only just stop pinching my cheeks.

Don't think that I ever knew Faye's last name. She always said, "Just call me Aunty Faye." But she managed the dinning room at the Elks Club, second floor at Stonewall & Trade. And yes, she had my number. . . A basket of fresh cooked french fries and a big bowl of Faye's homemade Tartar Sauce. Didn't know what cholesterol was backthen, though I doubt I'd have much cared. I have tried to duplicate Faye's recipe through the years, but the closest I've come has some sweet relish, a hint of sweet onion, some Miracle Whip, and a couple of spoonfuls of sugar. Oh, Man, what a treat.

Another favorite hotspot later on was Honey's Restaurant on Morehead St. The food wasn't that great, but folks loved to watch the teenagers drive their cars in that endless circle through the parking lot & drive-thru. Heck, after we finished eating, Dad insisted that we make a few loops in our car before we headed home to Derita.

Closer still to Derita, was the Hi-Boy Restaurant on North Graham Street near 36th Street. Nick & his brother had one of the few area restaurants open at night where working folks could go for a reasonable-priced supper. My favorite was the fried half chicken with fries and Greek slaw or tossed salad. Mouth-watering. They must have fried it in peanut oil. So tasty, it would have been a sin to use ketchup on it.

--- originally posted on Facebook: I am a native Charlottean, by Bernie Samonds

No comments:

Post a Comment