Saturday, April 18, 2009

Memories of Griffin's Fish Camp

I remember going to Griffin's Fish Camp, set far back in the woods off West Sugar Creek Rd. down a long gravel road behind Cheshire Field. If you didn't know it was there you'd miss it. But all of us local folks knew, and boy did we. Looked like a big hunting lodge from the outside with it slab board siding. But you could smell the hot grease and fried fish wafting through the dimly lit parking lot as soon as you got
out of your car.

The interior was done in early American plywood, from the walls to the cushion-less long booths that could sit 5 or more persons on a side, more if you weren't that big. Music was usually blaring and the waitresses would be rushing about with huge trays of freshly fried fish, straight from the deep fryer and still steaming. Across the way. a table was calling for a fresh pitcher and the folks would be chomping down on a tray of hot hushpuppies as Mrs. Griffin or Mrs. Stephenson took their dinner order.

I'd be checking out the music listed, turning page after page in the boothside console. Tunes were 3 for 25 cents, and the newest records were probably only listed on the juke box hear the cash register. It was set to play loud, but even that wasn't always loud enough to be heard over all the people talking, laughing, and partying on. This was the fun place to be, even if the fish hadn't been the best we'd ever eaten.

My Mom, Dad & I used to go there for dinner often. It was about the only place open nearby by the time we closed the grocery store at night. Mom & Dad would enjoy a cold beer with their meal, followed by some hot coffee (to settle the grease). I'd get a soda or sweet iced tea (and I mean really sweet). Then Dad would walk up to the cash register to get some quarters. Even though Mr. Griffin and his son were working away at the fryers, he would let out a big belly laugh and take a short break because he knew what was about to follow. Dad would feed a couple of quarters into the juke box and push a few buttons. Maybe a current hit to give Dad time to get back to the booth, but then it played. . . Shall We Gather at the River . . .Onward Christian
Soldiers! . . . Oh, I don't remember them all, but there were about 4 or 5 songs that were always found on the jukebox at Griffin's. The Party Crowd would go bananas! "Who played that?" "Somebody shut that thing off!" My Dad and Mr. Griffin would be rolling in the aisles.

Sad day when we heard the place burned down. Grease fire, electrical wiring started it, they said. But you know, even to this day, I still have folks asking me if I had ever been to a Fish Camp out in Derita somewhere and if it's still there? . . . I have and it was the best. --- Bernie Samonds


Re: Griffin's Fish Camp

Griffin's rocked! Two memories ... my cousin, Donnie Baker, a 1967 North Meck grad, lived in Hunter Acres, just down the road a little from Griffin's. One summer I was visiting them, probably would've been around 1966, and we walked down the road to Griffin's ... woulda been in the middle of the afternoon. We walk up to the jukebox, and I saw a 45 of a new Beach Boys song that had just come out, but it was the flip side I wanted my cousin to hear. Donnie was a GIGANTIC Beach Boys fan, and I'm pretty sure both these songs were on Pet Sounds which had just come out. So we stood there, jamming to the Beach Boys! My other Griffin Fish Camp memory comes from what was probably my last trip down there. I'm going to say it was around 1972. I was there with my father and mother. My Dad was a great guy but not particularly articulate. Someone at the table mentioned an incident where someone died in a fire. Everything got quiet for a minute, then my Dad said: "Dying in a fire probably wouldn't be so bad, if you'd just burn up real quick." Right, Dad! --- Jim Brown, Tyler, TX

4 comments:

  1. Just a couple corrections if I may. Bernie, I remember you and your folks coming in to eat with us. But you have a few facts wrong. Griffins Fish Camp never burned down. I think you have us confused with Lakeside Fish Camp off of Hwy 115. Also it was Lakeside that had the jukebox consoles at each table. Plus we never did have "Shall we gather at the river " and "Onward Christian Soldiers " on our jukebox but we did have "How Great Thou Art" which was my Mom's favorite. ️I also remember Donnie Baker and his "Beatle" haircut. One thing I do agree with wholeheartedly is the fact that our's was the best seafood anywhere. Those definitely were the "Good ole Days".
    Doug Griffin, Savannah, Ga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely the good ole days! We used to go alot on Friday nights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Doug griffin. Read your corrections. Gary Moore. North Mecklenburg high class of 1969 . Griffin fish 🐟 camp regular . ✌

    ReplyDelete